There are many radios floating across the usual websites offering to be a VHF Marine Band Handheld radio, some makes including Icom, Anysecu, Yaesu, Recent etc are all legit radios, the ones I am talking about are those that are designed for the commercial radio user, ideally for a radio to be marine band dedicated it needs the following.
- The radio needs to be waterproof and hopefully be able to float for 30 mins before sinking
- Backlit display
- Instant Channel 16 / 67 Monitoring
- 1/4 wave VHF Marine band Antenna
- Channel Scanning mode
- Easy to operate
- Desktop charger with 12v charging facility
- Good battery life, in all temperatures
- Large easy to read LCD display
What radio would you recommend ?
At the end of the day, safety and to preserve life comes before buying cheap safety equipment, radios are no exception.